A cracked tooth in Jefferson City can be painful, unattractive, and costly to repair. Today’s post in the Jefferson City Dental Care dental blog contains an easy-to-follow list of tips to keep your teeth whole and strong.
1. Don’t chew on hard substances. People should steer clear of ice, hard candies, hard nuts, popcorn, and beef jerky. Also be wary of pitted fruits—that peach may be soft but if you bite hard into the pit, you could damage a tooth.
2. It is critical to protect your teeth while engaging in any physical activity where your mouth can be hit. If you enjoy pick-up basketball games, indoor soccer leagues, rec center flag football, and many other activities, you should be using a well-fitting mouth guard.
3. Don’t use your teeth as a tool. Use scissors to open a string cheese or rip the price tag off a new piece of clothing with your teeth. Use a nutcracker for nuts. A quality dental crown for a cracked tooth in Jefferson City can cost hundreds of dollars.
4. Most people know that grinding your teeth is dangerous, but did you know that it can lead to a cracked tooth in Jefferson City? If you know or suspect that you are a tooth grinder, speak with your dentist so you can address the problem with stress reduction techniques and/or a mouth guard. Frequent headaches or jaw pain can frequently be attributed to nighttime teeth grinding.
5. Lastly, make sure that you visit your dentist regularly for check-ups and cleanings. Your dentist can alert you to conditions that might predispose you to cracked teeth, such as having an uneven chewing surface or brittle teeth. Your dentist may also discover tiny cracks you aren’t aware of. These cracks can then be repaired before further damage or decay occurs.
If you already have a cracked tooth, never fear! Treatment is available for cracks small and large. Veneers, cosmetic dental bonding, inlays/onlays, fillings, and dental implants are all used to repair or replace damaged teeth. If you break a tooth, call 573-634-2400 and schedule an appointment with our office. We also offer a wide variety of cosmetic and general dentistry services.