Oral health in Jefferson City depends on much more than simply brushing regularly. In today’s Jefferson City Dental Care post, we present a quick refresher course on important lifestyle practices that affect oral health in Jefferson City. You are probably familiar with most of these recommendations, but it is helpful to get a reminder once in a while. We encourage all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that promotes dental health as well as overall physical health. After all, the two are inseparable.
- Eat a nutritious diet.
- Eat calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that attack enamel.
- Brush gently, but meticulously at least twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Make sure you clean thoroughly between teeth with dental floss or interdental cleaners such as flossing picks.
- If you have children, talk to your dentist about water fluoridation. If your municipal water supply is not fluoridated, you may want to give your children fluoride supplements.
- Get your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year.
- Have a dental examination twice yearly with your Jefferson City dentist.
- Eat sugar filled snacks frequently. Sugar triggers the production of harmful cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel.
- Snack throughout the day. This speeds up plaque production and subjects the teeth to constant bombardment with acids.
- Chew on ice.
- Use your teeth as tools. Ever.
- Drink energy drinks.
- Get oral piercings.
- Ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
If you have oral pain or haven’t visited a dentist in a while, call Jefferson City Dental Care at 573-634-2400 to schedule an appointment with our team. Tooth problems get worse over time, especially if there is decay or gum disease. At Jefferson City Dental Care, we serve the Jefferson City area with exceptional dental care including general and cosmetic dentistry. Ask us about sedation dentistry, CEREC dental crowns, porcelain veneers, and teeth whitening. We can help you restore your oral health in Jefferson City, so give us a call today.