Wisdom Teeth Removal Services In Jefferson City
While we perform tooth extractions on all teeth, we are often asked if we can remove widsom teeth, too. The answer is “Yes!”
Getting your wisdom teeth out has become almost a rite of passage for our patients in the Jefferson City area. However, wisdom teeth removal can often be important and even an essential general dentistry procedure.
There are several reasons why wisdom tooth extraction is necessary.
Problems with Wisdom Teeth
Wisdom teeth removal is done to fix an existing issue or to prevent a future problem. Wisdom tooth extraction may be needed when wisdom teeth come in (which is typically some time after your adult teeth have come in or are coming in), and a number of oral health problems can occur:
- Wisdom teeth may become impacted because their jaw is not large enough for the wisdom teeth and they cannot break through your gums. If this is the case, we will likely refer you to an oral surgeon to remove your wisdom teeth.
- Sometimes your wisdom teeth may not completely break through your gums, and a flap of gum tissue grows over them. This flap of skin may not prevent food and germs from getting stuck under the flap. This can very easily cause toothaches and infection. If this is the case, wisdom teeth removal may be necessary.
- Often even more problems can occur if your wisdom teeth become impacted, such as infection, damage to other teeth and bone, or a cyst. Wisdom teeth removal is likely called for if any of these more serious issues arise.
- Your wisdom teeth may come in at an awkward angle, such as facing forward, and this can cause your other teeth to be moved and crowded. Wisdom tooth extraction may be the prescribed course if this is the case.
Positive Effects of Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Crowding of your back teeth.
- Wisdom teeth becoming impacted.
- Infection or swollen gums from a wisdom tooth that hasn’t fully come through the gums and the flap of skin above it causes problems.
- Difficulty in taking proper care of the wisdom tooth due to the difficulty of reaching the back of your mouth, which could lead to gum disease and tooth decay.
If you think you need your wisdom teeth pulled or any other tooth extracted, call our Jefferson City dentist office today!