Cracked teeth can be painful, embarrassing, and pricey to repair.
Protecting kids’ teeth from cracks and chips should be taught at a young age.
1. Don’t chew hard stuff! Steer clear of ice, hard candies, hard nuts, unpopped popcorn, and hard beef jerky. Watch out for stone fruits—that peach may be soft but if you bite hard into the stone, you could damage a tooth.
2. It is critical to protect teeth while engaging in any physical activity where your mouth can be hit. Most parents require their child to wear a mouthguard for football and soccer. However, other sports like gymnastics and skiing can be just as dangerous. Insist on a mouthguard for all sports. Your son or daughter will get into the habit—just like putting on their seatbelt.
3. Teach your son or daughter not to use their teeth as a tool. Set a good example. Don’t rip off tags with your teeth. Use a nutcracker for nuts. A quality dental crown can cost hundreds of dollars.
4. Grinding your teeth is harmful and can lead to a cracked tooth. If your youngster is a tooth grinder, speak with Jefferson City Dental Care. We treat teeth grinding with a variety of techniques. Don’t ignore teeth grinding. Having headaches or jaw pain frequently can be a symptom of teeth grinding.
5. Lastly, make sure that you bring your youngster to Jefferson City Dental Care regularly for check-ups and cleanings. We can alert you to conditions that might predispose your child to cracked teeth. Possibilities include an uneven chewing surface or brittle teeth. We may also discover tiny cracks you aren’t aware of. These cracks can then be repaired before further damage or decay occurs.
If your youngster already has a cracked tooth, don’t worry. We treat cracks small and large. Veneers, cosmetic dental bonding, inlays/onlays, fillings, and dental crowns are some of the treatments used to repair damaged teeth.
If your child breaks a tooth, call 573-634-2400 to schedule an appointment.